Pres. Dallin H. Oaks (Oct. 18): "Truth and the Plan"

This talk was full of many things that are foundational to our Church.  That section of the talk, which is the largest section, covers so many topics that I chose instead to focus this activity on the beginning and ending of the talk-- namely, that part that focused on how to gain knowledge about the gospel.  Also, there are kind of two different activities here.  The second part of the activity deals with the last part of the talk.  This is the part where Pres. Oaks discusses dealing with questions that are troubling to members.  During this section, remember to be sensitive and to stress that for many people finding these answers can take time, energy, and patience.  And that we need to simply support them in their search for answers and not judge them as they seek.

The Activity:

  1. Prior to class, identify a subject that you are interested in and are knowledgeable about.  Gather some tools that one might use to learn about the subject.  For example, if you want to talk about gardening, perhaps you choose some books, a spade, a packet of seeds, an almanac, etc.  
  2. At the beginning of class, spend a couple of minutes talking about your interest.  Share what you like about it and talk about how you learned about it.  Make sure to talk about the role the tools you brought played in your learning.
  3. Point out that using other tools would not have been as helpful.  For example, using a microscope or to learn about gardening would not have been very helpful-- even if you might have seen some interesting things through the microscope. 
  4. Read Sect. I, par. 1 "When we seek . . . of modern prophets."
  5. Discuss how the tools Pres. Oaks talks about (prayer, the Spirit, the scriptures, and the words of the modern prophets) help us answer spiritual questions.  
  6. Ask class members to share, as appropriate, their experiences learning with these tools.
  7. (2nd Part)  Point out that there are some who have questions that interest them and that may not always have easy answers.
  8. In small groups, ask class members to read Sect IV and to discuss the tools/guidelines mentioned there for those who have nagging quesions.
  9. After a few minutes of discussion, ask the groups to condense their ideas (or their most important idea) down into a tweet (a very short statement).  Hashtags are welcome.
  10. Invite the groups to share what they came up with.
Using the Activity:

As I said in the beginning, for some people there are questions that persist and dog their spiritual steps.  Others cannot even imagine something like that; they are able to set aside their questions and wait for answers to come.  Whatever the situation, our only job as members is to love those around us and be supportive of what their efforts to live the gospel as best they can.  This can be difficult regardless of what side of that equation you sit on.  As teachers, we must be mindful of and attentive to such differences and make sure that we set a tone of love and support.

This activity is designed to help everyone consider how well they are using the spiritual tools Pres. Oaks outlines.  Also, the final part where groups are asked to condense down their thoughts and ideas is particularly helpful in creating lasting learning in class members.  By inviting them to engage that way, they may come up with saying or thoughts that will stick with them for a long time.  

I hope this activity is useful to you.  Please let me know how things go.  


Comments

  1. This lesson will go great to reference a lesson about teach children to follow Christ and read the scriptures. We had a discussion when children don't follow Christ after all we give them (the tools). I feel many didn't get their questions answered totwhat to do in the mean time and how to still have hope and faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginee for the feedback. The issue you bring up is such a tough one. I have a sister who has fallen away, despite the best efforts of my parents, and I have seen the heartache it causes them. I wish there was an easy answer to this. I did prepare an activity for a different talk from this conference that is directed towards those who feel such a loss. I believe it was for Elder Bangerter's talk on family traditions. That may be of some use to you.

      Delete
  2. This was a very hard, almost impossible lesson for me to give. I disagree with how he says things and even some of the doctrine. I have wrestled with it for weeks, I have been to the temple, I have prayed. Until I read your approach, I felt hopeless, thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I understand what you are saying about this talk. It was hard for many people. I am glad that the ideas I shared were helpful. Also, I'm sorry that I am so late in replying to you. I do enjoy hearing that these ideas are helpful for people. It's a way for me to use what I perceive as my talents to help others and to build the kingdom at the same time. I just miss the comments sometimes. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Elder Ronald A. Rasband (Apr. '23): "Hosanna to the Most High God"

Bishop W. Christopher Waddell (Oct. '23): "More Than a Hero"

Elder David A. Bednar (Apr. '23): "Abide in Me, and I in You; Therefore, Walk with Me"