Elder Neil L. Andersen (Apr. '20): "Spiritually Defining Memories"

A NOTE:
Maintaining this blog at this time might be one of the most optimistic things I have done in recent memory :), although I am sure we will eventually be meeting together again for church.  I just have no idea when that will be.  Still, I want to continue this blog even in these times as an expression of hope.  In the meantime, I have begun a separate blog that focuses on sharing ideas to explore the messages of general conference in our homes.  That blog can be found here

This talk hit home to me simply because it focused on an idea that has been on my mind a lot lately-- remembering.  So, my gut reaction when designing this activity was to simply hand out a list of things that I had thought were ways to apply Elder Andersen's counsel in my own life, but that doesn't seem like it would do much good.  :)  So, here is the activity I came up with

The Activity:
  1. Divide the class members into four groups.
  2. Ask each group to read one of the four stories shared by Elder Andersen in his talk.  These are found in the section entitled "Four Examples."
  3. Ask them to discuss these events in their groups and to try and liken them to any similar experiences they have had in their own lives.  Stress that there is no need to share, if someone is uncomfortable or if an experience is too sacred.  
  4. Read par. 37 ("When personal difficulty . . . they once treasured").
  5. In the groups again, ask the class members to make a list of ways they could more regularly remember their own personal spiritually defining moments.
  6. After a few minutes, come back together as a class and discuss the ideas that they came up with in their groups.  Write them on the board.
Using the Activity:

It seems to me that the most powerful lessons, those that make a real difference in my life, follow a pattern.  First, we talk about the doctrines of the gospel (usually just a single doctrine).  Second, the Spirit is present and we can see the doctrine at work in the world, so to speak.  Finally, we are invited to consider specific, mundane ways that we can apply the doctrine in our own lives.  That is what I hope this activity allows us to do in these classes.

I pray that this activity is helpful (assuming we return to Church prior to the next conference).  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elder Ronald A. Rasband (Apr. '23): "Hosanna to the Most High God"

Bishop W. Christopher Waddell (Oct. '23): "More Than a Hero"

Elder David A. Bednar (Apr. '23): "Abide in Me, and I in You; Therefore, Walk with Me"